Friday, January 27, 2012

To diabetics does the mediterranean diet work for you?

I've never tried the Mediterranean Diet, so maybe someone else can chime in on their experiences. I have read quite a bit about it, though, and I don't think I could maintain normal blood sugar while doing it. Some of the ideas are right on point, especially the fish, vegetables, and olive oil. Nothing is friendlier on my blood sugar than some fish baked in garlic and olive oil.





My problem with the Mediterranean Diet and so many pre-made diets out there is that there's a lot of bad with the good. Apparently, this diet pushes legumes, unrefined cereals, and fruit in large quantities. Fruit may have all sorts of healthy vitamins and nutrients, but as diabetics (mostly Type 2s) we have other added health concerns that make sizable portions of fruit difficult to eat while achieving good blood sugar numbers. I also enjoy saturated fats and consider them healthy, whereas this diet is sort of on the low-fat bandwagon. Sure, it's lower in carbohydrates than most contemporary diets, but not low enough for me.





I really think everyone should experiment, though. Try the diet for a week. Test your fasting numbers and your two-hour post-meal numbers. If you're fasting more or less around 100 or below every morning and if your two-hour numbers are %26lt;140, then it might be something you can continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment